Council tax instalments
How Council Tax is Paid
Council Tax is a daily charge levied and collected on a yearly basis from 01 April to 31 March.
You can pay in one of the following ways:
- In 10 monthly instalments from April to January, with no payments in February or March, unless you have opted to pay by another payment method or have a change of circumstances
- In 42 weekly or 21 fortnightly instalments from April to January, with no payments in February or March, unless you opt to pay by another payment method or have a change of circumstances
- By Direct Debit over 10 or 12 monthly instalments on the 1st or 15th of the month
- By Direct Debit over 42 or 52 weekly instalments due on a Friday
- By Direct Debit over 21 or 26 fortnightly payments due on a Friday
- As a single lump sum on 1 June
Council Tax is a local tax on all domestic properties. The tax is levied by Perth & Kinross Council to help fund local services such as schools, libraries, refuse collection, police and fire services. Perth & Kinross Council collected 98.3% of Council Tax for the period 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015.
You may become liable to pay Council Tax after 1 April and if this is the case we will work out what proportion of Council Tax you are due up to 31 March. Likewise if you move out of a property before 31 March, we will work out your change from 1 April, or the date your liability started, until the date your liability ends.