Primary school enrolment
If your child will be five before the last day of February 2019 then it will soon be time to enrol them for school.
If your child will be five on or before that date you must register your child to start school during the January registration week, which in 2018 will be week commencing 15 January.
The next school session begins on Tuesday 14 August 2018.
If your child is five between 15 August 2018 and 28 February 2019 they are eligible to start school on Tuesday 14 August 2018 and you should register your child for primary school during the January 2018 registration week. However, nearer to the start of the school year you may wish to delay your child's entry to school if you think that they are not ready to start.
How do I register my child for primary school at the start of school?
To apply for a school place:
- Know your catchment area. You can visit your local catchment area primary school during the January registration week.
- Bring your child's birth certificate and also your current Council Tax notice and a recent utility bill. If you are registering at a denominational school and your child has been baptised you must also take their baptismal certificate.
- Complete the pupil registration form [209Kb]. The form is also available in other languages in our download section.
Gaelic Medium Education
Gaelic Medium Education is an option within Scottish schools that gives children and young people the opportunity to become proficient in Gaelic as well as English. GME is a free bilingual education option available within Perth & Kinross at the following schools:
- Goodlyburn Primary School (Perth)
- Breadalbane Academy (Aberfeldy)
What if I want to send my child to a school outside my local catchment area?
Although it is usual for children to attend their local catchment area school, you have the right to make a placing request asking that your child be granted a place in a school other than your local catchment area school.
How do I apply for for a school place for other year stages or during the school year?
You apply directly to your catchment school for a place if:
- you are moving to or within Perth & Kinross with children already of school age.
To apply for a school place during the school year or for a stage other than P1, please complete the registration form [209Kb] and return it to your catchment school.
Information about a particular school can be obtained from the Headteacher of that school. Handbooks are available from every school from 15 December.