Council advises residents it's not too late to get your garden waste permit

Perth & Kinross Council is advising households who have not yet purchased a garden waste permit and wish to do so, that it is not too late. The Council continues to receive a considerable number of garden waste permit requests every each week. All eligible households can purchase up to two brown bin permits.

The income generated by garden waste permits is helping to offset some of the expense associated with collecting and processing garden waste material from the kerbside. This income is also helping to preserve this well used service and ensure that garden waste is recycled appropriately.

Still time to apply for a permit

The Council's Environment & Infrastructure Committee Convener, Councillor Angus Forbes said: "Over 34,000 garden waste permits are currently in use, but there is still time to apply for a £25 permit either online or by contacting the Council's Customer Service Centre. All permits purchased during 2018 will be valid until 31 March 2019."

"All eligible households will be written to in early 2019 inviting them to participate in the service again."

Quick reminder

As a quick reminder, the garden waste collection service is for the uplift of:

Grass cuttings, hedge clippings and pruning; weeds; shrubs, flowers and houseplants; leaves; roots; twigs and small branches; hay/straw from animal bedding; wind fallen fruit; and bark and wood shavings. All garden waste should be placed loosely within a brown bin with the lid closed by 7:30am on the scheduled collection day.

Brown bins

Brown bins can continue to be used for recycling all cooked and uncooked household food waste, at no additional charge or need for a permit if the brown bin is being used for food waste only

All Perth and Kinross households are required to retain at least one brown bin at their property to recycle food waste. Households with a second brown bin they have no use for can have it removed by emailing


The mixed food and garden waste collected at the kerbside is taken to council contractors Earnside Energy in Glenfarg, where it is turned into compost and used by local farmers. 

For households looking to set up home composting, supporting information can be found on the Council's website at

Alternatively, householders who are able to do so can take garden waste to any of the Council's nine recycling Centres. To locate your nearest site and to check opening hours, please visit