We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.


Sideways scrolling

Information on which activities you require Permission for as a Perth & Kinross Council tenant.

What do I need Permission for?


You will need permission to make any physical alteration or improvement to your Council home or any of its garden ground, for example if you wanted to:

  • alter, improve or enlarge your house, boundary fences, walls, and hedges;
  • construct a path or driveway;
  • add new fittings or fixtures like kitchen or bathroom installations, central heating, fixed heaters, double glazing, and any aerial or satellite dish;
  • put up a structure, such as a garage, shed or greenhouse;
  • install any form of pine lining and timber cladding (subject to obtaining a building warrant);
  • install laminate or other fixed permanent flooring (more info in this pdf icon Laminate Flooring Leaflet [355kb]).

Some proposed alterations also require planning permission and/ or a building warrant in accordance with the Building Regulations. When you end your tenancy, you may be entitled to compensation for your alterations.


As part of improving security in your home you might consider installing a CCTV camera. However, you need to ensure that you are aware of the implications of the Data Protection Act 1998 to ensure that no-one's human rights or right to privacy is infringed upon. As a Council tenant you will also need to seek permission to install a CCTV system as an alteration or adaptation to your home (please see pdf icon CCTV Policy and Procedures [42kb]).


If you have a spare room we may agree to you having a lodger. Changes to Housing Benefit from April 2013 which will place restrictions on housing benefits received if the house you rent is larger than you need (please see pdf icon Restrictions Due to Under-Occupation Leaflet [932kb]).

If you consider taking in a lodger, please remember:

  • Lodgers don't have Scottish Secure Tenancies and the Council may not have an obligation to re-house them if you end their tenancy, unless they otherwise qualify under homeless legislation.
  • Any entitlement you have to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Some Council Tax Discount, Income Support, or other means tested benefit, will be affected by any income you receive from your lodger.
  • You will not be granted permission for a lodger if this would lead to overcrowding for your household.
  • We must be satisfied with the rent level you are charging.


Under certain circumstances it may be possible to sub-let your home for a temporary, defined period. At the end of that time you have to either go back to living there, or end your tenancy. You will need written permission in advance from your local area housing office before sub-letting your tenancy.


Having a pet can be a comfort to many people, and the Council is happy for tenants to share their home with a suitable pet, as long as a few reasonable requirements are met. The conditions of having a pet are set out in full in our pdf icon Pets Policy [51kb], with a domestic pet list.

Permission will be granted for a maximum of two pets for household, however consideration will be taken about the property size, the likely full-grown size of the pet, and the surrounding area. If you already have a cat or dog when you are moving in to a multi-storey flat or purpose-built sheltered housing unit then permission is likely to be given for you to keep the pet with you, but permission won't be granted for similar pets in the future. Exceptions can be made for hearing, guide and assistance dogs.

Please complete the pdf icon Application to Keep a Pet Form [132kb] and hand it in to your local Area Housing Office.

Running a Business

Approval to run a business from your home will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The final decision will depend on the type of business you propose, the type of accommodation you are in, and its effect on the neighbourhood you live. Contact your local area housing team to discuss your plans and to seek permission.

If you plan to register as a childminder working from home you must seek the Council's permission first, and the Childminding as a career option - Introductory Sessions page may be useful to you.

How do I ask for Permission?

In general you should:

  • Contact your local area housing team setting out what you'd like to do, and ask for permission to go ahead.
  • You will usually receive our decision in writing.
  • If you've not heard from us within 28 days of contacting and providing us with all required information to ask for permission you're entitled, by law, to assume permission has been granted.
  • If you transfer to another Council house, you should also restart the Permission process if it was not completed.

We won't refuse any request without good reason, and these will reasons will be clearly communicated to you.

Permission may be withdrawn at any time of the activity if it causes a nuisance or annoys residents in the area.