Brown bin

Recycling your food and garden waste couldn't be easier! Follow the steps below to find out how your food and garden waste is collected and re-processed into agricultural compost.

To check the waste and recycling collections your household receives, or to print off your collection calendar(s), please use our household collection date finder.

Information in the  icon Food and Garden Waste Leaflet [676Kb] shows householders what materials we do, and do not, accept in the brown bin.

Chargeable Garden Waste Collection Service

From the 1st April 2018, there will be an annual charge of £25.00 per bin for collecting garden waste in your brown bin. Please note that garden waste will continue to be accepted, free of charge, in brown bins up to the 31st March 2018. 

All Perth and Kinross Council householders with a brown bin will be written to during the month of January to provide further information and instruction on how to register for the service. All households will continue to be able to recycle their cooked and uncooked food waste in their brown bin free of charge. For more information, or to view a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the  Chargeable Garden Waste Collection Service pages. 

Correct presentation of wheeled bins

Make sure your wheeled bin is put out at the agreed location by 7:30 am on the day of collection, and returned to your bin storage point by the end of the day:

  • Do not contaminate your recycling bins
  • Do not place plastic bags in either of your recycling bins. Plastic bags will be treated as contamination, and may result in your bin not being emptied
  • Do not overfill your bin and ensure that the lid is closed
  • Do not put out additional waste or recycling next to your bin as this is not permitted and will not be uplifted. Excess waste and recycling can be taken to your local Recycling Centre free of charge.

For more information on presenting wheeled bins at the kerbside, refer to the  icon Waste Presentation Leaflet [217Kb].

Additional or replacement bins

To replace a lost, stolen or damaged bin, please contact the Council's Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476. If you would like to apply for additional waste and recycling bins, please visit our second bin page.

Contact details

Waste and recycling

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476476