Why Should I Care? - A Career in Care at Home
Working in care is an extremely rewarding job that makes a real difference to people's lives.
Carers work closely with many different people to make sure they are well looked after and have a good quality of life.
Job opportunities exist right now for people who want a career in care at home. Independent sector companies that provide home care services to Perth & Kinross Council currently have vacancies, and are looking for caring, kind, motivated people to fill them as soon as possible.
Caring is a varied and flexible job that can lead to you gaining national qualifications and a proper career.
"You really do have to care to be a carer. It can be the happiest career in the world if it's the right one for you." Lyndsay Clark, senior care assistant, My Care Tayside
What experience do I need?
We are looking for people from all walks of life and you don't necessarily need care experience - the main thing is that you have the kind of qualities that make someone a good carer like kindness, empathy, patience and being a good listener.
It's very important for a carer to be compassionate and to be able to offer reassurance and support.
Is the job well paid?
Yes! All companies who provide care services on behalf of the Council have now signed up to the Living Wage and fair working practices, so carers now receive a minimum of £8.25 per hourand are also paid for travel time and mileage.
What makes caring a special job?
As well as making a huge difference to people's lives and really brightening up their day, if you become a carer you will also receive full training and will be supported to gain your SVQ qualification in Health and Social Care.
This could be the first step towards a long-term and very rewarding career path - just read the Care Stories below to find out more about the kind of jobs you could do.
There are many pathways you can take during a career in the care sector. Caring also offers flexibility - care jobs can often be fitted in around other demands such as children and family.
Why should YOU care? Read our stories.
- Kelly-Louise's story: After 20 years working in hospitality Kelly-Louise began a career in care. She loves it so much she wishes she'd made the move earlier.
- Lyndsay and Annie's story: Read about how Lyndsay's visits are a breath of fresh air for Annie.
- Pat's story: Find out about Pat's long-term and rewarding career in care, which ended in her becoming a Service Manager.
- Jade's story: "I absolutely love my job - and not many people can say that!"
I'm interested - what do I do now?
- If you want to know more click here to pass on your details. It only takes a few minutes.
- Alternatively you can text 'Caring' to 60777 register your interest.
- Your details will be passed to all care providers in the Perth & Kinross area who currently have vacancies. If you meet a care provider's basic criteria, such as geographical area and the hours you want to work, they will contact you.
- If you need help filling in the form, have any questions or would rather speak to someone, please call 01738 476976
Watch this short video to see the huge difference carer Lyndsay Clark makes to the life of Anne Graham.