Empty Homes Loan Fund
The Empty Homes Loan Fund can provide interest free loans to owners of private properties. The loan is to be used for renovation work to bring their empty properties back into use. There are 2 options available for the loan fund, a loan-to-let and a loan-to-sell.
What is the Empty Homes Loan Fund?
The Empty Homes Loan Fund is an interest free loan of up to £20,000 to renovate properties that have been empty for 6 months or more. Loans will be considered for developments of more than one unit on a case by case basis.
To be eligible, the property must fail one of the repairing standards.
Once the property is renovated, you have the option of loan-to-sell or loan-to-let.
What are the benefits?
- You will be able to make improvements to your property without having to wait until you save up the money.
- Refurbish your property and it will increase in value.
- Makes good use of a property which is currently costing you money.
- Tenants pay bills, rent and Council Tax.
- At the end of the 5 year affordable renting period the property is yours to do what you like with.
- As an alternative the property can be sold on completion of the works and the loan repaid.
Once renovated, the property will be sold on the open market. The selling price can be no higher than the relevant thresholds set in the Scottish Governments Open Market Shared Equity Scheme. You must repay the loan immediately following the sale.
Once renovated, the property will be let out at the Local Housing Allowance Level for the relevant property size for a minimum of 5 years. The property owner must become a registered landlord.
How to apply
To apply, download the Empty Homes Loan Fund application form [302Kb] and submit to Isobel Butt / Katrina Morris - Empty Homes Loan Fund, Housing & Environment, Perth & Kinross Council, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD.
We will then arrange an inspection of the property. An application will only be accepted if the property fails to meet one of the repairing standards.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 01738 475955 or 01738 476561.