Perth City Hall
Perth City Hall is set to become a new heritage and arts attraction for the city, designed by international architectural firm Mecanoo.
Perth City Hall will be a major new venue, displaying our own museum collections alongside iconic loans from elsewhere and touring exhibitions from the UK and abroad. It will also provide spaces for learning and community events and be a fantastic meeting point at the very heart of Perth. Transforming the building into a modern cultural attraction will allow the Council to deliver on one of the themes of the Smart growth for Perth City for Perth City to grow the visitor economy of Perth.
Planning permission to convert the building has now been granted. While comments are closed, you can still view the documents which were submitted as part of the planning application.
- 2017: PKC holds an architectural competition to redesign the City Hall into a cultural attraction. Mecanoo was approved as the recommended architect.
- 2018: The City Hall is in its design stages and the public were invited to review these designs on the 17th May.
- 2019: Planning permission granted in January 2019. Construction to begin.
- 2020: First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announces the Stone of Destiny will become the centrepiece of a new museum at Perth City Hall.
- 2021: Construction work on Perth City Hall scheduled to begin.
- 2024: Museum due to open