Food waste recycling for business
Perth and Kinross Council has launched an efficient food waste collection service open to Perth and Kinross businesses.
This service will allow your business to recycle all cooked and uncooked food waste including, preparation, spoilage, plate scrapings and out-of-date food waste. Within this service your food business will also be able to recycle kitchen roll and paper napkins.
In addition, Local Authority commercial waste collection services are outside the scope of VAT. Therefore, commercial waste collection services provided by Perth and Kinross Council are not subject to VAT.
Do I need to segregate my businesses food waste for recycling?
Under the Waste (Scotland) Regulations all businesses are required to take the following actions with food waste:
- If you run a food business located in an urban area which produces over 50kg of food waste per week, you must present it for separate collection
- The requirement to present food waste for separate collection will extend to all food businesses, in urban areas, producing over 5kg of food waste per week from 1 January 2016
- Where food waste collections are available, it will be illegal to dispose of food into the public sewer, e.g. using a macerator
If your business is located in a rural area, you may be exempt from all the food waste requirements within the Regulations, although you may still want to examine the economic benefits of recycling. To check if your business premises has been defined as being in a rural or urban area, please use use Zero Waste Scotland's postcode search tool.
Why should your business recycle food waste?
- Ensures compliance with legislation
- Can improve stock purchase and management systems
- Will enable you to audit your waste streams and optimise your commercial waste contract
- Reduces waste sent to landfill, and improves your businesses 'green' credentials
- Reduces contamination of other recyclable material
Waste and Recycling Audits
Understanding your waste is key to introducing a cost effective waste and recycling service. Use our Waste and Recycling Audit Sheet [170Kb] to identify what your waste consists of, in terms of both the type and approximate volume of waste being produced.
What action should I now take?
If you have determined from the above information that your business will be required to segregate your businesses food waste under the new Regulations, it is highly recommended that you take the necessary steps now to implement changes to your waste management systems.
If our food waste collection service is of interest to your business, our Commercial Waste and Recycling Team can provide a free Zero Waste Compliance visit. You can also:
Alternatively, phone our Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476, or email email@example.com.