Mobile navigation

Theatre licence

Public performances of stage plays must be licensed under the Theatres Act 1968. There is an application fee which must be paid at the time the application is made.

The definition of a play includes any dramatic piece, which involves speech, singing or action and involves the playing of a role. This means that ballets and musicals are also included.

In addition to the main purpose built theatres which hold an annual licence, there are a number of community halls or similar premises which put on performances that require an occasional licence. These can be granted for a few days only or specific periods.

Inspections of premises are carried out by the Fire and Rescue Service and the Council's Building Standards and Environmental Health Services. The Police are also consulted.

Applying for a licence

To make an application, download an application from the options listed below and return to Perth & Kinross Council, The Environment Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth  PH1 5GD.  You must include the application fee at the same time the application is made.  The fee as at 1st April is £58.00.

For help and information with applications, contact the Food, Health & Safety Team on 01738 476476 or email

Last modified on 23 November 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon