Primary school enrolment

If your child will be five before the last day of February 2020 then it will soon be time to enrol them for school.

If your child will be five on or before that date you should register your child to start school during the January registration week, which in 2019 will be week commencing 14 January 2019.

The next school session begins on Wednesday 21 August 2019.

If your child is five between 22 August 2019 and 29 February 2020 they are eligible to start school on Wednesday 21 August 2019. and you should register your child for primary school during the January 2019 registration week. However, nearer to the start of the school year you may wish to delay your child's entry to school if you think that they are not ready to start.

How do I register my child for primary school at the start of school?

To apply for a school place:

  • Know your catchment area.  You can visit your local catchment area primary school during the January registration week.
  • Bring your child's birth certificate and also your current Council Tax notice and a recent utility bill.  If you are registering at a denominational school and your child has been baptised you must also take their baptismal certificate.
  • Complete the pupil icon registration form [209Kb].  The form is also available in other languages in our download section.

Gaelic Medium Education

Gaelic Medium Education is an option within Scottish schools that gives children and young people the opportunity to become proficient in Gaelic as well as English. GME is a free bilingual education option available within Perth & Kinross at the following schools:

  • Goodlyburn Primary School (Perth)
  • Breadalbane Academy (Aberfeldy)

What if I want to send my child to a school outside my local catchment area?

Although it is usual for children to attend their local catchment area school, you have the right to make a placing request asking that your child be granted a place in a school other than your local catchment area school.

How do I apply for for a school place for other year stages or during the school year?

You apply directly to your catchment school for a place if:

  • you are moving to or within Perth & Kinross with children already of school age.

To apply for a school place during the school year or for a stage other than P1, please complete the icon registration form [209Kb] and return it to your catchment school.

Information about a particular school can be obtained from the Headteacher of that school.  Handbooks are available from every school from 8 December.