Aberfeldy Square regeneration
Aberfeldy is a small, thriving town, nestled alongside the River Tay in Highland Perthshire. It's rural location and position alongside the Tay has helped increased the towns popularity and bolster a reputation for an up and coming leisure sports destination for outdoor activities, in addition to being an established art / cultural hub.
The project to regenerate the square in Aberfeldy is the result of four years of a collaborative approach between Perth and Kinross Council, Aberfeldy Small Business Association (ASBA) and Aberfeldy Community Council, with the overarching aim to help support and sustain local economic growth. Proposals for the square focus on reducing the current parking provision in order to help facilitate a level, flexible space, which will be supported by new power points, enabling the provision of current and future music and cultural events.
Proposals for the square were consulted with businesses and the local community during 2014 and 2015, with the square identified as a key priority during the community charrette exercise.
Initial ideas for the square and final proposal
Principles identified by the community in how they want to represent Aberfeldy
- Key Principles: Culture, Community and Town Environment [189Kb]
- Key Principles: Natural Environment, Tourism & Leisure, Retail and Transport [176Kb]
4 priorities identified during the community consultation exercise
Ideas collated and illustrated by the consultants
The documents below reflect the history of the square and show how a redeveloped square can assist the economic performance and growth of the town, by facilitating additional events and providing a community space in the heart of Aberfeldy
- The Square: Key Principles & Initiatives [232Kb]
- The Square: Connecting Key Assets [167Kb]
- The Square: Its history [180Kb]
- The Square: Reallocation of Space [155Kb]
- The Square: Sketch design 1 [160Kb]
- The Square: Sketch design 2 [151Kb]
The current programme (below) outlines construction in Spring 2019 and will last for approximately five months.
- Tender issue date - March 3rd 2019
- Tender date - April 12th 2019
- Planning approval - May 2019
- Contract award date - May 17th 2019
- Commencement of contract - June 10th 2019
- Completion of works - November 29th 2019
Further information will be provided closer to construction.