Inspection report published for Perth Grammar School
The findings of a recent Education Scotland assessment of Perth Grammar School were published on Tuesday 28 January 2020.
Inspectors visited the school in November 2019 and found a number of strengths in aspects of the school's work:
- Young people at Perth Grammar School valued their positive relationships with staff;
- A growing range of courses and partnerships which are supporting the different needs of pupils at the school; as a result of which almost all young people go on to positive destinations (higher education, college, or employment); and
- the enhanced provision which provided high levels of targeted support for young people with more significant additional support needs.
Evaluation of key quality indicators was also carried out by the inspection team. Perth Grammar School was assessed as 'satisfactory' for learning, teaching and assessment; and 'weak' for raising attainment and achievement.
A number of areas for improvement have been identified and discussed with the Headteacher and Perth & Kinross Council Education and Children's Services' staff:
- Improving approaches to ensuring equity for all learners, with enhanced use of data by senior school management to target and monitor interventions appropriately;
- Raising attainment and achievement for all young people, with improved approaches to assessment and monitoring of pupil progress, particularly in S1 to S3; and
- Further development of the school's shared understanding of high-quality learning and teaching, so that young people's motivation and engagement in their learning is improved, as well as providing appropriate challenge for all pupils to maximise their learning progress.
Education Scotland will make a follow-up visit to Perth Grammar School within 12 months of today's report being published, to assess how the school is moving forward in making the required improvements. Inspectors will liaise with the Council in this regard and will inform parents/carers in writing of the progress that has been made.
Lifelong Learning Convener, Councillor Caroline Shiers said: "The report for Perth Grammar highlights some strengths across the school but also outlines important areas for improvement. Education and Children's Services staff will continue to work with the senior management team at the school to address the areas for improvement outlined in this report, and will keep parents and carers informed of progress."