Perth and Kinross Council - 19 December 2012
A Meeting of Perth and Kinross Council will be held in the Council Chambers, Fourth Floor, Council Building, 2 High Street, Perth on Wednesday 19 December 2012 at 10.30am.
Provost E Grant, All Councillors
1. Declarations of Interest
2. Minute of Council Meeting of 3 October 2012 for approval and signature (copy herewith) (Pages 1-4)
3. Minutes of Committees from 20 September 2012 to 21 November 2012 (copy issued under separate cover)
4. External Audit - Annual Report on the 2011/12 Audit [1Mb] - Report by the Head of Finance (copy herewith 12/584) (Pages 5-54)
5. Medium Term Financial Plan [820Kb] - Report by Head of Finance (copy herewith 12/585) (Pages 55-74)
6. Composite Capital Budget - Additional Capital Expenditure [365Kb] - Report by Head of Finance (copy herewith 12/586) (Pages 75-96)
7. Review of Treasury Management Systems Document [265Kb] - Report by the Head of Finance (copy herewith 12/587) (Pages 97-100)
8. Treasury Activity and Compliance Report 2012/13 - Quarter 2 [372Kb] - Report by the Head of Finance (copy herewith 12/588) (Pages 101-118)
9. Biennial Review of Financial Regulations 2012 [812Kb] - Report by the Head of Finance (copy 12/589) (Pages 119-154)
10. Securing the Future for Culture and Leisure - Progress Report [284Kb] - Report by Executive Director (Education and Children's Services) (copy herewith 12/590) (Pages 155-160)
11. Securing the Future through Our People [402Kb] - Report by Chief Executive (copy herewith 12/591) (Pages 161-180)
12. Review of Political Decision-Making Structures [407Kb] - Report by Head of Democratic Services (copy to follow)
13. Essential Maintenance and Compliance Works - 2 High Street and Carpenter House, Perth [368Kb] - Report by Depute Director (Environment) (copy to follow)
14. Strategic Development Planning Authority Boundary Change and Strategic Environmental Assessment [474Kb] - Report by Executive Director (Environment) (copy herewith 12/592) (Pages 181-186)
15. Chief Social Work Officer Annual Report 2011-2012 [538Kb] - Report by Chief Social Work Officer (copy herewith 12/593) (Pages 187-224)
16. Perth and Kinross Adult Protection Committee Biennial Report 2010-2012 [702Kb] - Report by Executive Director (Housing and Community Care) (copy herewith 12/594) (Pages 225-266)
17. Gaelic Language Plan 2012-2017 [1Mb] - Report by Executive Director (Education and Children's Services) (copy herewith 12/595) (Pages 267-324)
18. Appointments to Committee
The Scheme of Administration provides for the establishment of a Pre Determination Committee comprising all elected members of the Council to hold pre-determination hearings prior to determination of the application by full Council in terms of Section 38A of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 as amended and Regulation 27 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 2008.
The Council is asked to appoint a Convener and Vice-Convener of the Pre Determination Committee.
19. Changes to Committee Membership
(i) Strategic Policy and Resources Committee
The Council is asked to appoint Councillor B Vaughan to the Strategic Policy and Resources Committee to replace Councillor C Shiers.
(ii) Community Planning Lifelong Learning Partnership
The Council is asked to appoint Councillor B Vaughan to the Community Planning Lifelong Learning Partnership to replace Councillor C Shiers.
(iii) School Estate Sub Committee (Lifelong Learning Committee)
The Council is asked to appoint Councillor B Vaughan to the School Estate Sub-Committee to replace Councillor C Shiers.
20. Appointments to External Bodies
(i) Perth Prison Visiting Committee
In terms of the Prisons (Scotland) Act 1989, the Council is asked to agree to appoint Mrs Rachel A Gillespie, Ms Susan Maxwell, Mr Colin Glennie, Mr John Hughes, Mr Hugh P O'Neill and Mr David R May as non-Council members of the Perth Prison Visiting Committee.
(ii) Children's Hearings (Scotland) Act 2011 - New Arrangements -Appointments to Area Support Team
Reference is made to Art. 529 of the minute of meeting of the Lifelong Learning Committee held on 31 October 2012 wherein the Committee agreed to the establishment of a Tayside Area Support Team with Dundee City and Angus Councils to support the National Convener of Children's Hearings Scotland
The Children's Hearings (Scotland) Act 2011 allows for existing members of the Children's Panel Advisory Committee who have been appointed by Scottish Ministers to transfer to the new Area Support Team (AST). In addition, the Act provides that the National Convener must appoint one person nominated by each local authority as a member of the Area Support Team, and can appoint others the local authority may choose to nominate if she considers that appropriate. This provision is designed to give local authorities a continued presence in supporting the Children's Panel. Those appointed will act as the local authority's representative(s) on the AST, and, whilst they remain accountable to the local authority, they would be expected to respect the Children's Hearings Scotland vision, mission and values on joining the AST.
By taking on the role on the AST, the nominee(s) will have an overview of the Children's Hearings System and the Children's Panel. They will act as an important link between the Children's Panel and the local authority elected members and relevant senior officials and departments. They will not, however, be directly involved in the recruitment, selection, recommendation for appointment or re-appointment, or practice observation and review processes undertaken by the AST panel practice advisors.
Councillors D Pover and B Vaughan are the Council's current representatives on the Perth and Kinross Children's Panel Advisory Committee. The Council is asked to agree to the appointment of Councillor B Vaughan to the Area Support Team and to recommend the appointment of Councillor D Pover to the National Convener.
21. Amendment to Scheme of Administration
With reference to Article. 518 of the minute of meeting of the Housing and Health Committee of 31 October 2012, the Council is asked to agree that the Scheme of Administration be amended accordingly to confirm that the Executive Director (Housing and Community Care) be designated as the responsible person, as required by the Property Factors (Scotland) Act 2011, in relation to the property categories set out in paragraph 5.4 of Report 12/481.
20. Changes to Timetable of Meetings January to June 2013
The Council is asked to agree:-
(i) that a special meeting of the Council be held on Wednesday 23 January 2013 at 10.00am.
(ii) that the Development Management Committee scheduled for that day be held on Thursday 24 January 2013 at 9.30am.