Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus: Council tenants

Updated 31/3/2020

Housing repairs

As part of our response to the coronavirus outbreak the Council has made the decision to only carry out only emergency and urgent repairs to tenants' homes until further notice.

This measure has been put in place for the health & safety of both our tenants and staff and follows national guidance from the UK and Scottish Governments to reduce social contact as much as is possible.  Full details are available on our report a repair web page.

Contacting your Locality Housing Office

All of our Locality Housing Offices are closed until further notice but staff are still available to provide you with assistance. If you have an urgent enquiry please call 01738 476000 (option 2) to speak to staff. Your call will be taken by an answering service so please do leave a message - all enquiries will be responded to.

Paying your rent

We recognise that many of our tenants are facing significant financial challenges at the present time.  Please be reassured that we are here to help and support you through this in any way we can. If you think you may struggle to pay your rent please get in touch with us. 

We can provide assistance such as helping you to maximise your income and make referrals to agencies who can support you with the daily living costs including food provision. As your landlord we take our responsibilities to support you both financially, and in terms of your health and well-being, seriously.

Our highly trained staff will work with you to look at and agree a solution to help support you during this difficult time. We welcome the national guidance around the postponement of evictions for both social housing and private sector tenants.

Please contact your Locality Housing staff on 01738 476000 (option 2). Your call will be taken by an answering service so please do leave a message - all enquiries will be responded to.

Homeless Services

Perth & Kinross Council's homeless services continue to run. If you are homeless or think you may become homeless in the next 2 months you should contact the Housing Options and Support Team on 0800 917 0708 or email Calls may take slightly longer than usual to answer at this time. Your Locality Housing Team can also provide advice.

Sheltered Housing

We would ask family and friends of tenants living in PKC sheltered housing units not to visit them unless it is essential, for instance delivering vital medicine, food packs or necessary welfare checks. This is for the safety of tenants, staff and yourself. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation. All sheltered housing units remain fully staffed with additional measures in place to isolate residents and ensure their safety and wellbeing. Staff are undertaking additional welfare checks on residents over 70-years-old. This includes our tenants who live in mainstream accommodation. We are working closely with colleagues in the Health and Social Care partnership to deliver a joined-up approach.

Telephone welfare checks

Our Housing Staff are carrying out welfare checks with vulnerable tenants to make sure they have the support and help they need during this difficult time. We'll be phoning tenants who we know have vulnerabilities to ensure they're safe and healthy. We'll help to put support in place for people where it's required.

If you feel that you need an urgent chat about the welfare of you or your family please call us on 01738 476000 (option 2). Your call will be taken by an answering service so please do leave a message - all enquiries will be responded to.

People can also help by keeping in touch with any vulnerable friends and neighbours over the next few weeks, but please observe social distancing rules. Keep in touch with people by telephone if possible. 

Universal Credit - updating your online journal

If you are claiming Universal Credit you will soon receive a "To Do" notification on your online journal regarding your annual rent increase. We sent you a letter recently confirming your new rent and service charges, Please use icon this guide [127Kb] to help you update your journal correctly.

Gas safety checks

Perth & Kinross Council is continuing gas servicing visits in tenants' homes at the current time, in line with national industry guidance.  

Gas servicing is a statutory requirement for local authorities and is vitally important for the safety of our tenants.

Our contractor Saltire is following robust protocols when attending homes. For the safety of tenants and their staff NHS screening questions are being asked 24 hours before a visit, and again from a 2- metre distance immediately before entering a property

Staff have also been issued with Protective Personal Equipment to wear during visits.

Buy Back scheme

Our Buy Back Scheme (buying back ex-Council homes) has been suspended until further notice. This is due to the practicalities of carrying out surveys safely, particularly in occupied properties, as well as staffing pressures at the current time. The scheme will be re-instated when we are satisfied that it is safe and practical to do so.

Planned maintenance and Capital Improvement works

All of our planned maintenance and capital improvement plan works have been suspended until further notice. We will need to ensure all buildings are wind and watertight before suspending projects, so you may see workers on some sites over the next few days.