Plastic film recycling
Many types of plastic film and all plastic carrier bags can be recycled at selected supermarkets.
Plastic Film is different to Soft Plastics
The selected supermarkets listed below collect plastic film items but selected Co-op stores offer a recycling collection for soft plastics - which are different. It might be that your household has more plastic film than soft plastic - please don't get the two collections mixed up.
What plastic films can be recycled at selected supermarkets?
Plastic films and carrier bags must be empty, clean and dry:
- All plastic bags except biodegradable or compostable bags
- Bread bags
- Breakfast cereal liners
- Shrink wrap and ring joiners from multi-packs of water, cans, etc
- Frozen food bags e.g. bags for frozen vegetables and chips
- Dry cleaning bags and bags covering new clothing
- Magazine and newspaper wrappers
- Bags for loose fruit and vegetables
- Bubble wrap
- Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) - resin ID code 4
Please remember that all items should be clean and free of food and try to tear off sticky labels where possible. As a general rule, if you can stretch the film then it can be recycled. Compostable and biodegradable bags are not designed to be recycled and if they enter the recycling system can potentially cause quality issues in the recycled material.
This list is updated as end-markets and recycling technology improves so it is worth checking this webpage regularly. For further information on which plastic films can and cannot be recycled please visit the Recycle Now page.
How to collect plastic film and used plastic carrier bags
- Put aside a used carrier bag for collecting all the films and bags.
- Whenever you have an empty, clean and dry piece of plastic film, check it against the list above and then bag it.
- Once the bag is full, take it with you when you next go to the supermarket - the Plastic Film and Carrier Bag Recycling Point is usually just at the entrance of the shop.
Which supermarkets in Perth and Kinross collect plastic film and carrier bags?
View the supermarkets with plastic film and carrier bag recycling [195Kb] in Perth and Kinross.