Mobile navigation

UK Parliamentary Election 2024

The UK Parliamentary Election will be held on Thursday 4 July 2024.

Sticky note graphic with text that says remember to bring ID when voting for an MP

The deadline for applying for free voter ID is 5pm on 26 June 2024 if you don't already have a form of accepted ID

Thomas Glen, the Chief Executive of Perth and Kinross Council is the Returning Officer for Perth and Kinross-shire.

Polling takes place between 7.00 am and 10.00 pm and the results are expected to be announced at approximately 2.30 am.

Voting is by way of the first past the post system ie the candidate with the most votes is elected.

To vote you simply place a cross (X) against the candidate of your choice.

Statistical information on the electorate and postal voting will follow.

Constituencies in Perth and Kinross Council area

This election is run on UK Parliamentary constituency boundaries. This means that depending on where you live in Perth and Kinross Council area, you may be voting to return an MP for the Perth and Kinross-shire, Angus and Perthshire Glens, or Stirling and Strathallan constituencies. 

Returning Officers for each constituency

  • Perth and Kinross-shire - Thomas Glen, Chief Executive, Perth and Kinross Council
  • Angus and Perthshire Glens - Kathryn Lindsay, Chief Executive, Angus Council
  • Stirling and Strathallan - Stirling Council


How to register

You can register to vote online

Register to vote

The deadline to register to vote for the upcoming UK Parliamentary Election is Tuesday 18 June (midnight).

If you are not already registered to vote please be aware that you will need to provide more details to register, which will make the electoral register more secure. You will need your date of birth and your national insurance number to hand.

The Electoral Register is updated and re-published following the canvass each year, normally at 1 December. It is used for elections to the Scottish Parliament, UK Parliament (Westminster), local elections to appoint Councillors, at national referendums and in the election of Community Councils.

Not everyone whose name appears in the Register has the right to vote at all elections or referendum.

If you are in the British forces, living overseas, a student, have no fixed home or are unsure of your eligibility visit the Which Elections Can I Vote In page on The Electoral Commission website, for more information on registering.

Postal or Proxy Voting

  • Deadline for receiving new postal vote and postal proxy applications for the election on July 4, and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes was Wednesday 19 June.
  • Deadline for receiving new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies) is 5pm on Wednesday 26 June.
  • Deadline for emergency proxy vote applications is Thursday 4 July.

The deadline to apply to vote by post was 5pm on Wednesday 19 June. If you missed this deadline and are unable to vote in person on 4 July, you can still choose to appoint a proxy, but must apply by 5pm on Wednesday 26 June. If you are on the register you can do this online.

Regulations require us to collect personal identifier information - your signature and date of birth. This is held securely and will be used at election times to compare against the signature and date of birth which has to be provided on a security statement returned with postal votes.

Poll Letters 

Poll letters started to be sent to existing electors from Monday 10 June 2024

You do not need your poll letter to vote, you just need to give your name to the polling station officers when you go to your polling station, and they will give you your ballot paper.

You will need to show a valid form of Voter ID at your polling station.


Where to Vote

Polling Stations

You can only vote at the polling station which has your name on their register. Details of which polling station you should use will be displayed on your poll letter.

Poll letters started to be issued around 10 June 2024.

Please ensure you check the poll letter sent to you for details of where you should go to vote in person.


How to Vote

Can you vote? not everyone can ...

You have to be 18 or over and

  • a British citizen; or
  • a citizen or another qualifying Commonwealth country.

European Union citizens are not entitled to vote at UK Parliamentary Elections, details can be found on the Electoral Commission website.


Polling Cards

Poll letters started to be sent to existing electors from Monday 10 June 2024. 

If your name is on the register of electors and you are aged 18 or over, you will, unless you are further included in the absent voters list, get a polling letter. This will tell you where your Polling Station is and when it is open.  The letter is for information only.  Don't worry if you lose it or forget it - you can still vote without it.  It just makes it easier if you take it to the Polling Station and show it to the clerk. You will need to show a valid form of Voter ID at your polling station.

If you don't receive a polling letter, this could mean that you are registered at an old address or are not included on the register.  If you live in Perth and Kinross you should contact the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) on by emailing or call 01738 630303.


Voting in Person

To vote in person you should go to the Polling Station listed on your Polling letter.  The clerk will give you a ballot paper to place a cross against the candidate of your choice. 

Remember to bring ID with you.


Voting by Post

When you have been granted a postal vote your Ballot Paper will then be sent to you by post, prior to the elections.  Complete the paper and return it as directed.  You will also be sent a postal voter poll card confirming that you have a postal vote nearer this time.

The last day for receipt of applications by the ERO for the UK Parliamentary Election was Wednesday 19 June 2024.


Voting by Proxy

The last day to appoint a proxy in time for the election date to be confirmed. You can apply online. 

The last day for receipt of applications by the ERO for the UK Parliamentary Election is Wednesday 26 June 2024.



Voter ID

Valid photo IDs you can use

The UK Government has made a new rule that requires voters to show photo ID when they vote at polling stations. This only applies to UK Parliamentary Elections. You will not need photo ID for future Scottish Parliament elections or local elections. 

Most people already have a valid photo ID. We don't want you to be left out when it comes voting in the next UK Parliamentary Election so please check if your photo ID is valid or apply for a Voter Authority Certificate online on the Electoral Commission's website.

You may already have a valid form of photo ID that can be used for voting in the next UK Parliamentary Election. Acceptable documents include:

Passport issued by:

  • UK
  • any Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man
  • a British Overseas Territory
  • EEA state
  • Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card)

Driving licence (including provisional licence) issued by:

  • UK
  • any of the Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man
  • EEA state

As well as:

  • Blue badge
  • National Entitlement Card (concessionary travel card)
  • identity card with PASS mark for example Young Scot Card
  • biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (defence identity card)

You can see the full list of accepted forms of photo IDs on the Electoral Commission's website.

You can still use some photo IDs even if they are out-of-date, as long as the photo still looks like you. You can get more information on the Electoral Commission's Voter ID webpage.


Information in other formats

You can get voter ID requirement information in other formats from the Electoral Commission including

  • audio
  • Braille
  • BSL
  • easy read
  • plain text.


Showing ID as an anonymous elector

If you have registered to vote anonymously and want to vote in person, you will need to apply for an Anonymous Elector's Document. Find out more about registering to vote anonymously and how to vote anonymously. 


Frequently asked questions

What if my ID is out of date?

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

What if I want me ID checked in private?

You can ask the staff to check the ID in private, this will behind a separated privacy screen.

What if I am an anonymous elector?

If you are already registered as an anonymous voter, or you are registering to vote anonymously, you will be invited to apply for an Anonymous Elector's Document by the Electoral Registration Officer. You will need to take this to the polling station with you.



Election Notices

Perth and Kinross-shire constituency

Angus and Perthshire Glens constituency

Stirling and Strathallan constituency


Quick guide to voting videos


British Sign Language Videos

Registering to Vote


Which elections require photo ID, and which forms of ID can I use to vote?


How to apply for free voter ID, if you need it



Last modified on 21 June 2024

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon