Welfare Rights Team - Annual Report 2022/23
Welfare Rights Team - Annual Report 2022/23 - Our aim, what we do, who we are
The Aim of the Welfare Rights Team
To provide universal, free, confidential and impartial appeals representation and benefits advice to all residents of Perth and Kinross.
- Provide a universal, free, confidential and impartial welfare rights service to the residents of Perth and Kinross.
- Provide a dedicated advice line (including seamless referrals, sign-posting and follow up work).
- Provide 24/7 access via online methods.
- Continue to offer advice on DWP benefits, Tax Credits, Social Security Scotland benefits, housing, eviction, money and debt, employment rights.
- Continue to ensure people have the maximum income they are entitled to through comprehensive benefit checks, support with mandatory reconsiderations and the benefits appeals process (First and Upper Tribunals), targeted campaign work and following up on claims.
- Continue to ensure that people affected by cancer have access to an enhanced welfare rights service which includes form-filling and access to financial assistance through Macmillan Grants.
- Continue to ensure that pregnant women and low income families with dependent children have access to an enhanced welfare rights service which includes form-filling and access to available financial assistance.
- Continue to provide a range of information and support; talks and training, quick guides, leaflets and web-based information.
- To take a lead role in relation to Welfare Reform and a key role in relation to Child Poverty.
- Administration of the Welfare Trust and other discretionary monies e.g. Financial Insecurity Fund and Whole Family Wellbeing Fund to ensure that households have access to their statutory entitlements before accessing other available funding.
What we do
The Welfare Rights Team has three core functions:
- Advice & Consultancy
Who we are
The Welfare Rights Team sits within the Corporate and Democratic Services Department.
- Alan Taylor, Head of Corporate IT & Revenues
- Lynn Brady, Revenues & Benefits Manager
- Nicola Sutherland, Team Leader (Welfare Rights & Welfare Fund)
Welfare Rights Team
- Deborah Sinclair, Senior Welfare Rights Officer
- Liam Watson, Senior Welfare Rights Officer
- Andrew McConnachie, Welfare Rights Officer
- Karen Grant, Welfare Rights Officer
- Bernadette Caldwell, Welfare Rights Officer
- Chris Grigg, Welfare Rights Officer
- Rebecca Elliot, Welfare Rights Officer
- Claire MacDonald, Welfare Rights Officer
- Jude Archibald, Welfare Rights Officer
- Kenneth Thomson-Duncan, Welfare Rights Officer
- Robert Tomlin, Welfare Rights Officer
- Kirsty Hynd, Welfare Rights Officer
Externally funded projects
- Ilona Napier, Macmillan Welfare Rights Officer
- Frances Shaw, Macmillan Welfare Rights Officer