If you receive or provide care or support to another person you may be able to get a discount on your council tax.
If you live with one other adult that you provide care for, a 25% discount will apply. If there are other adults residing at the property, you may still be entitled to a discount depending on their circumstances. Please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430 for more information.
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
The carer must:
- be resident in the same house as the person being cared for
- be providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average
- not be the partner/spouse of the person being cared for
- not be a parent caring for their child who is under 18
The person cared for must also be entitled to one of the following benefits:
- Attendance Allowance (Higher Rate)
- Disability Living Allowance (Higher Rate of the Care Component)
- Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living Component at the Enhanced Rate)
- an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions Scheme
- the Highest Rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full-rate disablement benefit paid for an industrial injury
How to apply
- By telephoning Local Taxes on 01738 477430
- By completing and returning the personal discount application [831Kb] form
- In person at Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
- By emailing email@example.com
Other help available
For further advice about benefit entitlement or other help available, please contact the Welfare Rights Advice Line on 01738 476900 (option 1) or visit the Benefits and advice section.