Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)


If you receive or provide care or support to another person you may be able to get a discount on your council tax.

If you live with one other adult that you provide care for, a 25% discount will apply.  If there are other adults residing at the property, you may still be entitled to a discount depending on their circumstances.  Please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430 for more information.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.


The carer must:

  • be resident in the same house as the person being cared for
  • be providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average
  • not be the partner/spouse of the person being cared for
  • not be a parent caring for their child who is under 18

The person cared for must also be entitled to one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance (Higher Rate)
  • Disability Living Allowance (Higher Rate of the Care Component)
  • Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living Component at the Enhanced Rate)
  • an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions Scheme
  • the Highest Rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full-rate disablement benefit paid for an industrial injury

How to apply

In order to complete our online application, you will be required to supply;

  • A valid email address
  • Evidence confirming the type of allowance being received and date this commenced

Apply online for a carers reduction

Alternatively, if you are unable to complete our online application, please download and complete the icon personal discount application [831Kb]  and submit this along with evidence of the qualifying allowance being received. This can be returned by post to Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD or by e-mail to

Other help available

For further advice about benefit entitlement or other help available, please contact the Welfare Rights Advice Line on 01738 476900 (option 1) or visit the Benefits and advice section.

Contact details

Local Taxes

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 477430