Childminding as a career option
The Childcare Strategy Team provides support to people who are considering childminding as a career by offering free introductory sessions and pre registration courses as well as start-up grants.
Introduction to Becoming a Childminder Sessions
- Wednesday 2 May
- Wednesday 29 August
Morning and evening sessions are offered each day, 9:30am - 11:30am or 7:00pm - 9:00pm, with a creche available for the morning sessions if required.
Introductory sessions give the opportunity to
- Find out exactly what childminding involves - it is much more than babysitting
- Consider the impact working as a childminder would have on your home and family life
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of looking after children in your own home
- Think about whether childminding would suit you as an individual
The sessions, which are held in the Community Wing at Perth Grammar School, are all very informal and involve quite a lot of group discussion.
Pre-registration training courses
Attending a childminder pre registration course will give you all the information you need to get started as a childminder, including copies of relevant national documents, templates for business paperwork and sample policies. It is beneficial to attend an introductory session before booking on a course, however, we appreciate that may not always be possible and will do our best to make other arrangements to discuss the topics covered with people who are keen to attend.
Current Course Options:
- Two day course on Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 May
- Wednesday evening course starting on 16 May and running over four weeks
- Tuesday evening course starting on 11 September and running over four weeks
- Two day course on Wednesdays 12 and 19 September
The two day courses start at 9:30am each day and finish by 4:30pm, with a creche available if required.
The evening courses start at 6:30pm and finish by 9:00pm.
Topics covered include:
How to register with the Care Inspectorate; Advice on running your own business; Working with children and parents; Policies and Procedures; Behaviour Management; Health & Safety; Play; Risk Assessment and Child Protection.
There is no charge for the introductory sessions or for the pre registration courses. Please contact the Childcare Strategy Team for further information or to book places.