Data protection

Perth and Kinross Council collects and uses personal information to help it provide services to its citizens. The Data Protection Act (1998) - the DPA - gives individuals rights in relation to their own information, and controls the way the Council can use the information it holds.

How the Council uses your information

The DPA controls the way organisations that record personal information use it. It says that organisations must make sure that information is-

  • fairly and lawfully processed
  • processed for limited purposes
  • adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • accurate and up to date
  • not be kept for longer than necessary
  • processed in line with your rights
  • kept securely
  • not transferred to other countries without adequate protection

If you have any concerns about how your personal information is being processed by the Council, you should contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance.

If you remain dissatisfied, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO); this is an independent authority, which regulates the DPA.

Accessing your information

The DPA gives you the right to find out what information the Council holds about you.  This is known as a Subject Access Request.

In order to process a Subject Access Request, we require

  • A completed icon Subject Access Request Form [62Kb]
  • Proof of your identity (ideally photographic ID such as a passport or driving licence, but we can accept a utility bill or bank statement if necessary)
  • A description of the information you're looking for
  • A cheque or postal order for £10 (made payable to Perth and Kinross Council)

You can hand the form, evidence and payment to any Council office or to the Freedom of Information Team, 2 High Street, Perth  PH1 5PH.  We will acknowledge your Subject Access Request when we've received your request and documentation, and we'll respond to you within 40 days.

If you're unhappy with how we've dealt with your request, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office.

Data matching

The Council is legally required to protect the public funds it's responsible for. As part of its work protecting these funds, it may share information it holds with other public bodies which are also responsible for auditing or administering public funds. The Council does this in order to prevent and detect fraud. You can find out more on our Data matching page.

Data sharing

Where appropriate, the Council shares personal information with its partner organisations. Where this happens it will be clearly indicated at the point of collection of the information. You can find out more on our Data sharing page.

Contact details

Data Protection Officer

2 High Street, Perth, PH1 5PH
Tel 01738 477933