Person in long term hospital or care home

If a member of your household is in hospital as a long-term patient or in a care home, you may be able to get a discount on your council tax bill.

If one adult remains in the property, a 25% discount will apply.  If there are other adults residing at the property, you may still be entitled to a discount depending on their circumstances.  Please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430 for more information.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.


You can apply if you or a member of your household:

  • has moved into a care home on a permanent basis
  • has moved into hospital on a long-term basis and can no longer be considered as solely or mainly resident in your home (a short stay does not count)

How to apply

If you are applying for a reduction because you are in a care home, a member of the team will contact the home to verify your application.

Contact details

Local Taxes

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 477430