Paid care workers

If a member of your household is a paid care worker, you may be eligible to claim a discount on your council tax.

If you live with one other adult that you provide care for, a 25% discount will apply.  If there are other adults residing at the property, you may still be entitled to a discount depending on their circumstances.  Please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430 for more information.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.


A person must be:

  • resident in the property where they are caring to enable the best care to be provided
  • providing care or support on behalf of a relevant body such as a Local Authority, the Crown or a charitable organisation
  • engaged or employed to do so for at least 24 hours a week;
  • in receipt under his engagement/employment of not more than £44 pay per week; and
  • resident in the property provided by or on behalf of the relevant body or employer for the better performance of the work.

How to apply

Other help available

For further advice about benefit entitlement or other help available, please contact the Welfare Rights Advice Line on 01738 476900 (option 1) or visit the Benefits and advice section.

Contact details

Local Taxes

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 477430