Visiting forces

Where a property is occupied by members of visiting forces, you may be able to claim a discount on your council tax.

A dwelling is exempt from Council Tax if one of the liable parties has a relevant association with a visiting force.  A 25% discount may apply where the member associated with a visiting force is not liable to pay Council Tax and all but one of the adults living in the property has a relevant association with a visiting force.  For example, where a member of a visiting force is lodging with a British citizen, a 25% discount would apply.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.


To have a relevant association a person must be:

  • A member of that force, or a member of a civilian component of the force; or
  • A dependent of a member, provided that the dependent is not a British citizen or is not ordinarily resident in the UK

How to apply

Contact details

Local Taxes

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 477430