Letter of comfort
A Letter of Comfort is a letter issued by the Council which states that action will not be taken in respect of building works which have been carried out. It applies only to situations where:- a) work was undertaken prior to 1 May 2005 without a building warrant, where one was required or b) work was undertaken with a building warrant that was applied for prior to 1 May 2005 but for which no certificate of completion has been issued.
A Letter of Comfort, will confirm that the works undertaken comply with the relevant standards and/or no enforcement action will take place.
For work carried out/ applied for after 1 May 2005 you are required to apply for a Completion Certificate Without Warrant.
Apply for a Letter of Comfort
Complete an Application form - Letter of Comfort [243Kb] and submit together with the fee to: Building Standards, The Environment Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth PH1 5GD
Cost to submit a Letter of Comfort
- Where no Building Warrant was obtained - £300.00
- Where a Building Warrant was obtained but no certificate of completion issued - £150.00
What happens when I have made my application?
- We will check the application for completeness, then if satisfactory it will be registered.
- We will contact you to arrange an inspection of the work. We endeavour to inspect within 10 working days but this can vary - so don't leave your application until the last minute.
- We will carry out a non-disruptive inspection of the work you list in the application form.
- We will inform you if any remedial work is required giving you up to 3 months to finish the work.
- We will issue the letter within 5 working days following satisfactory inspection.
- You may be required to undertake remedial works if defects are discovered.
- In certain circumstances we may be obliged to take enforcement action if we consider there is a risk to health or safety.
- Where remedial work is required, you must contact us when the work is complete to arrange a re-visit.
- You will be charged an additional fee if we are required to make more than one re-visit. (details are on application form).