Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Completion certificate

A Completion Certificate is the document you must submit to Building Standards once you are satisfied that all building work is complete in accordance with the approved plans and specifications. 

The Completion Certificate can only be signed by the applicant (property owner or tenant) or their agent as declared on the application form.

The Completion Certificate must not be signed until all work is fully complete in accordance with the approved plans -this includes any amendment to warrant where one is required as a result of changes being made from the original approval.

The Completion Certificate must not be signed unless your building warrant is valid. If the warrant is outwith the 3 years permitted you will need to submit an icon Application form for Extending a Building Warrant [39Kb].

Submitting a completion certificate

1. For warrants applied for in paper format, complete the icon Completion certificate submission [78Kb]  (this form will have been issued along with the building warrant). Send the completed form to Building Standards, Perth and Kinross Council, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth  PH1 5GD.

2. For warrants applied for on-line, the completion certificate must be submitted using the form available through the portal.

The completion certificate must be accompanied, as appropriate, by the following documents (for electronic applications they must be submitted through the portal):-

  • Electrical installation certificate - ideally this should be a Certificate of Construction under schemes approved by the Scottish Government. In any event the certificate must be from an electrical contractor who is deemed a competent person (by definition a member of a UKAS accredited trade body such as NICEIC and SELECT)
  •  icon Heating and Hot Water Certificate - Domestic [62Kb]  - new houses
  • Form Q - where this was specified by your structural engineer
  • Energy Performance Certificate - new houses
  • Sustainability label - new houses
  • Air tightness test results
  • Sound test results

What happens once you have made the application?

  1. We will contact you to make an appointment unless you have previously phoned us.
  2. We aim to respond to your request within 10 working days. If you haven't heard from us within that timescale please phone/ email for an update.
  3. You must ensure all parts of the alteration, extension or new building, such as the roof space and solum space below floors are accessible for inspection.
  4. We will endeavour to issue the Acceptance of Completion Certificate within 4 working days of satisfactory inspection. When you receive this, keep it in a safe place e.g. with your title deeds.
  5. If work is incomplete or not satisfactory the Completion Certificate will be refused. In such a situation you will need to re-apply when outstanding matters are resolved.

Contact details

Building Standards

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300