Applying for a building warrant

A building warrant is generally required to erect, alter (internally or externally), extend, convert or demolish a building.

Apply online

Submit a building warrant application online

Notes for online submissions:

  • If applying for a staged warrant remember that this has to be agreed with us in advance.
  • Plans and other supporting evidence to be submitted as individual pdf's that are correctly orientated and clearly titled.
  • The full submission should be in electronic format.
  • Approvals will be issued electronically, with stamped approved plans deposited in a drop box system for you to upload.

Apply in paper format

A building warrant application must include the following:-

  1. A fully completed icon Application form for Building Warrant - May 2018 [303Kb]
  2. The appropriate Building Warrant fee, set by the Scottish Government. Please note that as of 1st January 2019 we will no longer accept cheques as a form of payment.
  3. Plans and specifications
  4. If you are using Certifiers of Design as part of your submission, you must complete the relevant section on the application form to obtain a discount on your fee. You must then submit their certificate(s) and supporting details along with the application or they must be submitted before the warrant can be approved. If you opt to submit structural calculations, they require third party checks so this will inevitably delay the warrant approval.

Submit the full application as described above to our office at Building Standards, Perth & Kinross Council, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD. You may do so in person or by post.

General Guidance

  • We will notify you once your application has been registered - within 3 working days.       
  • We will assess your application within 20 working days or notify you if this is not possible. It is important to understand that 20 days is for the initial assessment, this is not the time to obtain a warrant as further details/ clarification is often required from you so obtaining a warrant can be considerably longer - so factor this in to your work programme.
  • It is an offence against the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 to start work without warrant, where one is required. If you have inadvertently started before applying, you must declare this on the application form and cease building operations until such time as the warrant is approved.
  • Building warrant is quite different from planning approval, therefore you should always consult with Development Management on 01738 475300 or email to find out if planning approval is required.
  • If you are making an application for a new house that will have a private water supply contact Environmental Health on 01738 476 476 to get details on other consents you will need.

Contact details

Building Standards

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300