Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What needs planning permission?

Not all developments require planning permission. Find out below how to find out if you need permission.

When you do need planning permission

You will need to submit a planning application if you want to:

  • build a new building such as houses, shops or factories
  • make a major change to your building e.g. building an extension
  • change the use of your building or land

See our Pre-application services  webpage for information on how to get advice about your development.

When you don't need planning permission

You don't need to apply for planning permission for some types of building projects.  This is known as 'permitted development'.

More information on these rights are contained within the icon Householder Permitted Development Rights Circular 1/2012 [2Mb].

When you are not sure if you need planning permission

If you are not sure if planning permission is required and you would like us to assess it for you, you should apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development. The fee for this service can be found on our Scale of Current Fees. Please note your Certificate could be refused, in which case you will need to apply for full planning permission and pay an additional fee. You can apply for a Certificate by submitting an application online

If you apply for planning permission but don't actually need it because your development is 'permitted', we will change your planning application to one for a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development and refund any fee overpayment. This will give you formal confirmation that your development complies with legislation and does not need planning permission.

What other consents might I need?

There is a full list of other types of consent on the icon Application Types [69Kb] guidance notes.

When applying to modify or discharge a planning obligation (Section 75 legal agreement), please use the icon Modifying a Planning Obligation Form [156Kb] and icon Modifying a Planning Obligation Guide [99Kb] to ensure you provide us with all the information required to process your request.

If you know or believe your property is listed, the works you wish to carry out may require listed building consent. More information about listed buildings and listed building consent can be found in our Heritage Conservation section.

Is my development 'permitted'?

If you are planning on completing one of the following types of development to your dwellinghouse or flat, you should check if planning permission is required by referring to the relevant checklist below:



You should apply for a certificate of lawfulness if you want a definite decision that a proposed development is lawful and does not need planning permission or that if you go ahead with the development, you will not run the risk of future enforcement action by the Council.

If the development is not covered by any of the above checklists, please email or send in your enquiry to Development Management and provide sufficient details of the proposal including:

  • The address of the property
  • A site layout to a recognised scale
  • The size of the proposed development (using external metric measurements)
  • Elevational drawings to a recognised scale

Do I need permission to run a business from home?

If you are thinking of running a business from home or maybe already are and would like to know if you require planning permission or consent then you can complete our icon Running a Business from Home Questionnaire [245Kb].

Please be aware that expanding an existing or for a proposed childminding business, the care of more than 6 children (under the age of 16), including your own and at any one time, will require planning permission for part change of use to your dwellinghouse. New childminding businesses within flats will always require planning permission.  

What if I start a development without planning permission?

If your project needs planning permission and you do the work without getting it or do not adhere to the conditions in the granted planning permission, you can be served an enforcement notice ordering you to undo all the changes you have made.

Contact details

Development Management

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300