Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Major planning applications and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA)

Guidance notes and information for the submission of a major or national planning application and any application accompanied by an Environmental impact assessment

What is a 'Major' or 'National' Development?

What constitutes a 'Major' or 'National' development is outlined in The Town and Country Planning (Hierarchy of Development) (Scotland) Regulations 2009 and further information can be found in Scottish Governments Hierarchy of Developments Circular 5/2009.

If you are unsure if your development falls into these categories you can complete and submit a icon Pre-Application Screening Notice [75Kb].

Environmental Impact Assessment

The Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (Scotland) Regulations 2017, which largely replaced the Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (Scotland) Regulations 2011, requires an EIA for any 'Schedule 1' development and any 'Schedule 2' development that is screened to require EIA where it is likely to have significant effect of the environment. Schedule 2 developments are explained further in Circular 1/2017 on Scottish Governments Website.

Further information on EIA  can be found in our icon Guide to Environmental Impact Assessments [211Kb].

If you are unsure if your development requires an EIA, you can submit a screening request by completing our icon Screening Request Form - 2017 Regulations [209Kb]. If an EIA is required, you can request a scoping opinion of what information your EIA Report must cover. This can be done by completing our icon Scoping Request Form - 2017 Regulations [247Kb] form.

Pre-application advice

Perth & Kinross Council encourages and welcomes early discussions with applicants and developers prior to the submission of any major application. The submission of a fully detailed and comprehensive application allows all parties involved to achieve timely and quality decisions.

If you are seeking pre-application advice in respect of a major development, you should complete the icon Non-householder pre-application enquiry form [174Kb]. As part of this we will offer a meeting with ourselves as well as consultees as appropriate. Further guidance can be found in our icon Pre-Application Guidance Note [450Kb]. Please see our icon Scale of Current Fees [92Kb] for the associated fee. 

Pre-application Consultation (PAC)

Applicants proposing major or national developments are required to carry out pre-application consultation. Before doing so, applicants should read our icon Guide to Pre-Application Consultation [45Kb] and ensure that you have submitted a icon Proposal of Application Notice [608Kb] to Development Management. All consultation events must be advertised in the local newspaper in accordance with the  icon Pre-Application Consultation Advert Template [84Kb].

Our icon Guidelines for Developers and Individuals on Engagement [570Kb] provides helpful tips and guidance on the best way to engage with your community.

Processing agreements

We encourage the use of processing agreements in association with planning applications for major developments. Processing agreements should be discussed as early as possible as it is important that developers know at an early stage in the development process about the level of information required to support an application. This is best done at the pre-application advice stage.

More information can be found in our icon Planning Processing Agreement guidance [53Kb]. Details of the processing agreement will be drawn up between the case officer and the developer. The format should be kept as concise, clear and simple as possible and should adhere to the available icon Planning Processing Agreement Form [553Kb].

What should I provide when I submit my application?

If a processing agreement is in place for the development or is requested then a comprehensive list of the required drawings and information will be provided. In addition, to help ensure that you include all the relevant information, we have produced a icon Major Application Checklist [95Kb].

Information of planning fees can be found in theicon Scale of Current Fees [92Kb]. There is also a fee calculator available on the Scottish Government's website. Fees can be paid by debit or credit card via the e-Planning website when submitting your application or by calling our Customer Service Centre on 01738 475300. Should you wish to pay by BACS transfer please contact us for account details.


Pre-validation check

Perth & Kinross Council also offer pre-validation checks on all major, national and applications accompanied by an EIA. This service will allow you to pre-submit your plans and documents which will then be checked by a Technician and a Planning Officer. Feedback and guidance will be provided which, if followed will, will ensure that your application is processed through the validation stage as quickly as possible. Please see our icon Scale of Current Fees [92Kb] for details of the associated fee.

To request this service please email

Contact details

Development Management

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300