Mobile navigation

Vehicular access guide

A vehicular access consent is required by anyone who wants to construct an access to their property or development. This can take the form of a simple dropped kerb to form a driveway into a garden, to an entrance to a major housing development. This guide aims to explain the process of applying for Vehicular Access consent and the steps that are necessary to form it.

Do I need planning permission for a vehicular access?

Applicants should contact the planning department on or Tel: 01738 475300, to find out if planning permission will be required.

If any of the four conditions below apply, then planning permission must be applied for:

  • Flatted Property
  • On a Classified Road - i.e. an A, B or C Class road (To check the road class check the Road maintenance map and the class will be under the Route No)
  • Listed Building (To check if the property is Listed use the Heritage map)
  • In a Conservation Area (To check if the property is in a Conservation area use the Heritage map)

If planning permission is required then applicants are advised to check the Planning pages on this website to obtain information on how to apply for planning permission.

I live in a Council owned property - Do I need permission from the Council?

If you live in a Council owned property, then you will need to obtain the written consent of your local Housing Area Office to your request, before you can submit a vehicular access application. A copy of the consent letter should be included with your vehicular access application.  A vehicular access application cannot be considered without this consent, so it is important that this letter is included with your application, so as not to unduly delay the process.

Is there a fee for this service?

Yes, a fee of £300 is required to apply for Vehicular Access Consent.  The fee can be paid by telephone using a credit or debit card, calling the Customer Service Centre on 01738 475300. 

Please note: If Planning Permission has been granted for the vehicle access then a fee is not required for the Vehicle Access Consent. If you have Planning Permission, please include the planning application number on your VA application form.

How do I apply for vehicular access consent?

If none of the conditions described above apply, then the applicant is advised to download a VA1 Form (PDF) [12KB] .  Applicants should fill in the form correctly and supply a simple site plan and/or a photograph clearly showing the location of the proposed access.  This can be submitted to the Transport Planning team, details at the bottom of the page.

Suitably completed VA1 forms are usually processed within 28 days of receipt.  If VA consent is granted, then a letter granting consent a VA2, will be issued stating the conditions of construction. The letter will also contain details of the access type, the construction details and an application form for a Road Opening Permit  S56 Application Form (PDF) [438KB] . Works cannot start until a Section 56 has been granted and conditions in the VA2 have been met.  Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £1,000.

I have a VA2 Letter.  What do I need to do next?

Section 56 forms should be filled out by a suitably qualified contractor who should be employed to carry out the work. The contractor should make sure that they comply with the conditions stated on the Section 56 forms. Especially with regard to any insurance cover required and the proper documentation for carrying out works on a public road.  The forms and all accompanying documentation should be sent to Roads Network Management at the address shown on the back of the VA2 letter. Correctly completed Section 56 forms are usually processed within 28 days of receipt.

I have a Section 56 Permit and have completed the works what do I do now?

Upon receipt of a Section 56 permit, the works can now go ahead.  When the works have been completed the tear-off slip at the bottom of the VA2 letter should be returned to the  Roads Network Management address shown on the back of the VA2 letter.  A member of the Roads Network Management team, will then inspect the works to ensure that the access has been constructed to the Council's specifications. If the access is not satisfactory, than remedial works will be required. If the access has been constructed to standard then the applicant will be responsible for a 12 month maintenance period.

Upon completion of the 12 month maintenance period the access will be inspected again.  If the access is satisfactory and no remedials are required then the Council will maintain the access as part of the List of Public Roads, if the access is part of the existing public road network.

Last modified on 01 April 2023

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon