Mobile navigation

Register a stillbirth

Please accept our condolences on your loss. We realise that this is a very difficult time for you. In this section, there is information and guidance aimed at helping you through this painful process.

When and where should the stillbirth be registered?

A stillbirth occurring in Scotland must be registered within 21 days.  Please contact us to make an appointment, there is no requirement to attend our offices, we are able to complete the registration with you over the telephone.

Who should register the stillbirth?

  • If married the child's mother or father. 
  • If unmarried the child's mother or mother and father

If this is not possible the following persons can register the birth: 

  • If married any relative of the mother or father with knowledge of the stillbirth.
  • If unmarried any relative of the mother with knowledge of the stillbirth.
  • The occupier of the premises in which the stillbirth took place.
  • Any person present at the stillbirth.

A father who is not married to the mother can only register the stillbirth and be named as the father if: 

  • He jointly signs the register with the mother
  • He and the mother sign declarations that he is the father, or
  • A court declares that he is the father and the mother registers the stillbirth.

Documents issued by the registrar at the time of registration

If one of the parents registers the stillbirth and requests it, an extract of the entry in the register. 

What if the stillbirth occurs abroad?

You should register the stillbirth according to local regulations in the country concerned and obtain a certificate of the stillbirth. There is no facility available to register the stillbirth with the British Consul in that country.

Last modified on 13 July 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon