Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

High hedges

The Scottish Government has passed legislation enabling householders to apply to the Council in specified circumstances for a high hedge notice to be served.

A householder can  now apply for action to be taken in connection with a neighbouring hedge that consists of a row of 2 or more trees or shrubs and rises to a height of more than 2 metres and forms a barrier to light. Provided that they can show that the height of the hedge adversely affects the reasonable enjoyment of their property and that they have taken all reasonable steps to resolve matters in relation to the 'high hedge', then they can make the application. A fee of £300 will be payable.

The Council has produced guidance in the form of icon Frequently Asked Questions [237Kb].

Comprehensive guidance for local authorities has been published by the Scottish Government.

A icon High Hedge Application Form [102Kb] to request a high hedge notice is available to download, together with our icon application guidance notes [165Kb].

The application, and any other enquiries about 'high hedges', should be made to:

Development Management
Planning & Development
Housing and Environment Service
Perth and Kinross Council
35 Kinnoull Street


Contact details

Planning Enforcement

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300