Petroleum storage certificates

The Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA) is Perth & Kinross Council (Trading Standards) who are responsible for ensuring safety at sites where petrol is stored for the purpose of dispensing into vehicles (this includes road vehicles, aircraft and boats).

The storage of petrol for vehicles must be in accordance with relevant legislation including The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 and The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002. When a Petroleum Officer, appointed by the PEA, visits a petrol storage site the aim is to ensure that safety standards are being observed and where necessary improved.

Applying for a licence

If you wish to apply for a storage certificate for an existing facility please complete an application form:

Please return completed forms to Perth & Kinross Council, Trading Standards Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD. The required fee (below) must also be paid.

Storage capacityFee
Exceeding 50,000 litres£125.00
2,500 to 50,000 litres£60.00
Not exceeding 2,500 litres£44.00

New facilities

Where a new facility is proposed for the storage and delivery of petroleum, please contact the Petroleum Officer within Trading Standards. Only following approval by the Petroleum Office can construction start, please note that planning permission will also need to be sought. During the construction process the Petroleum Officer must be kept informed of progress and any changes made to the approved plans. Similarly any changes to the approved arrangements at sites certificated to store petrol must be approved by the PEA.

Further information

For further information, please contact Trading Standards on 01738 476476 or email

Contact details

Trading Standards

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476476