Fireworks / explosives licence

Making an application

If you wish to store less than 2000kg of explosives or fireworks at a premises within Perth and Kinross you must be licensed by the Council.  To apply for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations, please complete our icon explosives storage licence application form [132Kb].

For the current fees please contact Trading Standards using the contact details below. 

Please return the completed form with the applicable fee, and appropriate site plans to:
Perth and Kinross Council, Trading Standards Service, Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD

The Law

A seller of fireworks must hold a Storage Licence.

It is an offence to sell a firework (including hand held sparklers) to anyone under 18.

Unless a seller has a year round license fireworks can only be sold during the periods below

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • The first day of the Chinese New Year and 3 days immediately before it.
  • The first day of Diwali and 3 days immediately before it.

It is an offence for a person under 18 to possess an adult firework in a public place.

Caps, cracker snaps, throwdowns and party poppers are exempt from the above with the age restrictions reduced to 16.

Certain storage conditions must also be met.

Storing and selling fireworks safely

A risk assessment should be carried out prior to storing and selling fireworks (this must be in writing if you have 5 or more employees).  This means identifying hazards and risk factors that could cause harm, evaluating the risk and determining ways of eliminating the hazard or controlling the risk.

The main questions you need to ask yourself are:

  • How could a fire start?
  • How could it spread?
  • What do I need to do to protect people if there is a fire?

The actions you need to take are actions to:

  • Prevent a fire starting.
  • Stop it from spreading.
  • Protect people in the event of a fire.

The risk assessment is about taking sensible, common sense precautions.  For example, a fire could be started by a cigarette so steps will need to be taken to stop people smoking anywhere near the fireworks.

A HSE checklist is available to help you carry out you risk assessment.

Further information

For further information about fireworks and explosives, contact Trading Standards using the contact details below.

Contact details

Trading Standards

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476476