Mobile navigation

Personal licence refresher training



Personal licences last for 10 years, however, each personal licence holder must undertake refresher training every 5 years.

Each personal licence holder will be informed no later than 3 months before the end of 5 years of their licence being issued that they are due to undertake  refresher training. They must arrange and complete the refresher training course within 5 years of the personal licence being issued. For example, if the personal licence was issued on 1 September 2009, the refresher training must be undertaken no later than 1 September 2014.

The refresher training should be arranged through a recognised trainer. The course required is the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) at SCQF Level 6. It is not the same course sat over 5 years ago to be able to apply for a personal licence.  Other personal licence holders will also be taking the same course therefore the training course should be arranged as soon as possible.

After you complete the refresher training

Once you have completed and passed the refresher training course, you need to inform the Perth and Kinross Licensing Board by completing a Personal Licence Refresher Training Application Form (PDF) [36KB]  no later than 3 months after 5 years of the personal licence being issued.

For example, if the personal licence was issued on 1 September 2009, notification of completion of the refresher training must be returned no later than 1 December 2014.

The application form should be returned with a copy of the refresher training certificate and the original personal licence to Perth & Kinross Licensing Board, Council Building, 2 High Street, Perth, PH1 5PH for updating and return.

If the personal licence holder has changed name and/or address, please enter those details on the application form. Evidence of change of name should also be provided, for example, a copy marriage or divorce certificate.

Perth and Kinross Licensing Board will only deal with personal licences issued by it.  Where a personal licence is issued by another licensing board, that board should be contacted.

There is no cost for updating a personal licence unless the original licence has been lost or misplaced. In that event, please complete the declaration in the application form and also send in two passport sized photographs in the manner set out in the form together with a fee of £10. Do not delay returning the application form if you have lost or misplaced the personal licence. The deadlines for the refresher training must still be met.

It is important to note that failure to comply with the refresher training requirements will result in the personal licence being revoked. Perth and Kinross Licensing Board will have no choice but to revoke the personal licence. That licence holder will not be able to apply for a new personal licence for a period of 5 years.  This will affect being involved in the sale of alcohol in the future.  If the personal licence holder is also a designated premises manager on a premises licence, they will also have to give up that position. Another premises manager will have to be substituted on the premises licence within a short period otherwise the business will no longer be able to continue to allow alcohol to be sold or consumed on those premises.


Last modified on 04 October 2019

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon