Mobile navigation

Financial supports

When you decide to become a non-looked after young person, are allocated a Throughcare and Aftercare worker, we will start to look at what we, as a service, are able to provide you financially alongside other more practical supports.

Your worker will discuss this area with you but you may be eligible for financial help in some of the following areas:

  • Furnishing and decorating a tenancy
  • Financial support towards education

The Throughcare and Aftercare team has no direct access to money. Therefore, any request for financial support must be discussed with your Throughcare and Aftercare worker first.

In addition to the above, you may be eligible to apply for living expenses if you are 16 or 17 years old and a care leaver not in receipt of a wage, education or a training allowance.

When the time comes for you to move into your own tenancy, you may be eligible for a leaving care grant. This allows you to work alongside your Throughcare and Aftercare worker to look at using the grant to purchase items that will be necessary for you for when you move into your tenancy.  For example, some young people who have moved into their own tenancy for the first time may need to  buy a bed, a sofa or a washing machine.

This grant is dependent on what other funds may be available to you, and what other income you may have. As part of your grant you will be encouraged to purchase a 12 months television licence and 12 months contents insurance.

Last modified on 08 January 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon