Mobile navigation

Section 19 permits

Organisations that provide transport on a 'not-for-profit' basis can apply for permits under Section 19 of the Transport Act 1985. These permits allow the holder to operate transport services for hire or reward without the need for a full public service vehicle (PSV) operator's licence.

Section 19 permits are either 'standard permits' for vehicles which are adapted to carry no more than 16 passengers (excluding the driver) or 'large bus permits' for vehicles which are adapted to carry 17 or more passengers. These permits may be granted to organisations that operate vehicles without a view to profit to transport their members, or people whom the organisation exists to help.

Section 19 permit vehicles can't be used to carry members of the general public.

Where can we obtain a Section 19 Permit?

The Permit Team
Hillcrest House
386 Harehills Lane

Permit Enquiries - 0113 2543209
E-Mail -

Section 19 standard permits can also be issued by the Community Transport Association (CTA) as they are a designated body, and are only allowed to issue permits to members.  CTA members can download the section 19 permit application form by logging in to the members area of their website.

How much do they cost?

Section 19 standard permits cost £11.00 if you obtain them from the V or from the CTA. You will need to ensure that your organisation continues to be a member of the CTA as they may revoke a Section 19 permit should your membership lapse.

Last modified on 08 October 2018

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon