Mobile navigation

Veterans First guide

A guide for people leaving the Armed Forces in Perth and Kinross

This Veterans First guide (PDF) [3MB]  has been a partnership response between Perth & Kinross Council and our local SSAFA branch to deliver information about what is available to support our Armed Forces veterans in Perth and Kinross.

The guide contains a range of detailed information on the following specific topics:

Housing options

Housing is one of the major concerns for many people when leaving the Armed Forces.  Visit our Housing section for more information.

The Scottish Government have also produced a Scottish housing guide (PDF) [263KB] for people leaving the Armed Forces and Ex-Service personnel.

Health and care

Veterans may need a range of health and care support when leaving the Armed Forces. As well as the information within the booklet you can also find out about the health and social care partnership in Perth and Kinross or other activities through


For many people, including veterans employability isn't about just getting a job; it's about accessing training and learning opportunities and also taking on new skills.

Perth & Kinross Council welcomes applications from former armed forces personnel / reservists.  Many of the skills developed during a military career are transferable to local government roles.

Welfare advice

Most people, including veterans claim benefits at some point in their lives, depending on their circumstances. The welfare benefits system can be complicated and it is not always clear what benefits, if any, someone may be entitled to.

Armed Services Advice Project

The Armed Services Advice Project in partnership with Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice and support for all members of the Armed Forces Community.

Education & schools

Veterans and their families may wish to find out about education and other support services available for them in this area.

Leisure & recreation

Veterans may wish to know more about what sort of leisure and recreational opportunities are available across Perth and Kinross.

Last modified on 06 July 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon