Dangerous and defective buildings

It is the responsibility of the owner(s) of a building to maintain it in a good state of repair and address any problems that may occur for instance as the result of extreme weather conditions.

Report a dangerous or defective building

If you are concerned about the condition to the extent you think it may be dangerous or defective, please report it to us by calling 01738 475300 (during office hours 8.45 am - 5.00 pm) or 01738 476476 (emergencies only outwith office hours).

What we will do

  • Undertake an inspection as soon as possible (this depends on the level of risk).
  • Decide if immediate action is required to remove the danger or secure the site. 
  • We will encourage the owner(s) to arrange remedial works. If circumstances dictate, we can undertake urgent work to safeguard the occupiers/ general public without doing so.
  • We will undertake the minimum work necessary which can range from securing the site, arranging temporary support, repair or in extreme cases, demolition/partial demolition. 
  • We will then serve a Dangerous Building Notice to require the owner(s) to do work to make the building safe.

If the building is in a state of disrepair but not dangerous, we will liaise with colleagues in Environmental Health to determine if formal action is required. Ultimately we may serve a Defective Buildings Notice requiring the owner(s) to bring the building back into a good state or repair. 

In either case where a Notice is served, we may arrange for the necessary work to be undertaken if the owners fail to respond within the specified timeframe. 

In all cases the owner(s) will be liable for all costs incurred by the council, including administrative costs (it is therefore invariably cheaper to undertake the work without our involvement).

Enforcement register

Details of Notices appear in the Building Standards Register and may impact on any proposed sale of a property.

Notices prior to 1 May 2005 (issued under the Building (Scotland) Acts 1959 & 1970) that remain outstanding are listed below:

Perth City Heritage Fund

Limited grant finding may be available for buildings located within the Perth Central and Kinnoull Conservation Area. Details available from Perth & Kinross Heritage Trust.



Building Standards

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475300