Mobile navigation

Letting a room in your house

There are conditions to be met before letting out a room in your house.

Resident landlords let part of their own house, that they live in, to someone else. The house has to be the landlords only or main residence. Before letting, you should check your Title Deeds to ensure that there are no conditions which prohibit this.

The amount of rent you can charge is unrestricted providing the letting arrangement began on or after 2nd January 1989. You are entitled to require your tenant to pay a deposit, the amount of the deposit should be negotiated with the tenant.

If you want the tenant to leave, you must give the tenant a valid Notice to Quit (PDF) [14KB] . The Notice must be in writing and must contain certain information about the tenant's basic rights. You must give at least 4 weeks notice of the time you want the tenancy to end. The tenancy will not be terminated until a valid Notice to Quit is served and has elapsed.

In most cases, the tenant will leave at the end of the notice period. If the tenant does not leave however, a Court Order will be required before you can legally evict the tenant.

The advisory content on this site is not a substitute for legal advice.

If you would like to subscribe to our mailing list to receive details of future events and updates, please email

Last modified on 10 January 2017

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon