Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Health and safety at work

We carry out a wide variety of duties relating to health and safety at work which includes:

  • Investigating accidents at work
  • Investigating complaints relating to health and safety
  • Inspecting licensing of certain business
  • inspecting workplaces such as offices, shops and warehouses
  • Providing advice to businesses and employees and taking enforcement action.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are responsible for health and safety enforcement at larger industries, such as factories, farms, building sites and hospitals.

They publish a wide range of guidance and information to employees and duty holders regarding their legal responsibilities which you can access from

Reporting an accident

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. This information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Council to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents.

If you are an employer, a self employed person or someone in control of work premises you will have duty to report accidents and dangerous occurrences at work.

You must report:

  • Fatalities
  • Major injuries such as broken bones, dislocations and amputations
  • Injuries that result in an employee being incapacitated for more than seven days
  • A work-related accident that results in a member of public being taken directly to hospital
  • Work related diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal/specified, and major incidents only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

Contact details

Food, Health and Safety

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 476476