Waste awareness - schools and communities
Waste Services can work with your school or community group to focus on environmental concerns around waste, recycling and litter.
Education and Awareness - Schools
Incorporating the Reduce, Re-use and Recycle message within lessons and practically within school grounds is key to encouraging young people to think differently about waste and how they can participate in their own lives. The Waste Team can offer a comprehensive programme of waste education, which links well with the Curriculum for Excellence through Sustainable Development Education and the Eco-Schools Program.
We are currently unable to offer in-person visits to schools, or visits to the Waste Education Boardwalk (WEBWalk) at Friarton, however we are still here to offer resources and ideas for delivering sessions on the following topics:
- Waste & Recycling
- Food Waste
- Environmental Resources & Sustainability
- Circular Economy
- Reducing Your Carbon Footprint
Annotated Power Point presentations for self-delivery and classroom activities are available on request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If the subject you are looking for isn't listed above, please get in contact as we may be able to create a bespoke presentation to suit your needs.
Waste Services also have a suite of videos on the Council's Youtube Channel showing waste journeys and waste composition analysis. Visit Youtube to view the Reduce Reuse Recycle Play list.
Looking for additional resources? Try visiting the sites below:
- Sustainable Development Education from Keep Scotland Beautiful. This includes the Eco-Schools, Young Reporters for the Environment and Climate Ready Classrooms
- STEM education resources from our blue bin recycling processor SUEZ
- Circular Economy toolkit from the Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- Community Litter Picker Hosts can provide you with litter picking equipment in your local area
- Get Litter Literate education resources from Zero Waste Scotland
- Recycled craft activities [496Kb]
Education and awareness - Community groups
Waste Services can deliver talks and presentations to community groups upon request. Education and awareness activities focus on the Council's delivery of recycling services, the environmental impact of waste and litter, resource efficiency and Scotland's Zero Waste vision. The following are activities that Waste Services can support and deliver to community groups:
- Interactive talks and presentations on waste, recycling or litter
- Attend eco-days or community events with a waste awareness stall
- Information on Community Litter Picker Hosts who can provide you with litter picking equipment in your local area
To find out more about what our Waste Awareness Coordinator can offer your school or community group, please contact the Customer Service Centre on 01738 476476 or email WasteAwareness@pkc.gov.uk.