Mobile navigation

Council Tax - complaints and appeals

What to do if you are unhappy with our service or think that your council tax bill is wrong.


The Local Taxes team are committed to providing a high standard of service.  If you feel that we have not done so, please refer to the Council's complaint procedure for information on how to bring this to our attention.

Appeals against the Banding of your dwelling

The Valuation Band for each dwelling is determined by the Assessor.  Your property band and full details on how to appeal can be found on-line by visiting the Assessor's Web Portal.

Appeals against your bill

You should tell us immediately if you think that your Council Tax bill is wrong, e.g. you think:

  • The bills are in the name of the wrong person
  • Your home should not be charged Council Tax
  • You should be entitled to a discount or exemption
  • The council has not reduced the bill even though a disabled person lives there

We have two months from the date of first contact about the matter to deal with the appeal.  In most cases we will contact you well within this time limit to discuss the matter, seek clarification or further information and explain our decision.

If we do not respond to your appeal within the two month limit you can request that the matter be referred immediately to the Valuation Appeal Committee.

If we cannot resolve the matter to your satisfaction you must give grounds for your appeals in writing within a further two month period (i.e. within four months from first contact).  The matter will then be passed to the local Valuation Appeal Committee.

Last modified on 10 January 2017

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon