Mobile navigation

Public entertainment licence

A public entertainment licence is needed when members of the public pay admission to or pay to use any facilities for the purposes of entertainment or recreation.

View the  Guidance for Public Entertainment Licence (PDF) [48KB]   for more information on whether you need a licence and a list of premises which need to be licensed for public entertainment.

If you are a current licence holder and wish to vary your licence, please view the Guidance note for a material change in circumstances (PDF) [3KB]  and complete the Material Change in Circumstances application form (PDF) [119KB] . The application fee is £71.

Discount for Public Entertainment Licence in Some Circumstances 

If you are a charitable organisation, community organisation, voluntary or not-for profit organisation and have a Public Entertainment Licence and or Market Operator Licence you may be eligible for a discount on your next fee in some circumstances.  Please call the Licensing Department on (01738) 475180 or email

How much does a licence cost?

The application fees are based on the type of premises or capacity of an event as follows:-

Premises / Capacity of event

Temporary or 1 Year  

3 Year    

Community and Village Halls£189£250
Capacity <200£189£250
Capacity 201 - 1500£301£367
Capacity 1501 - 5000£729£836
Capacity 5001 - 20000£1566£2086
Capacity >20000£3126£4167

Funfair (community event) with less than 5 children mechanical ride(s) present - £65

The fees change every year so check with the licensing office before you send payment.

How do I apply?

Apply online

What happens if the Council fails to make a decision on my application within 9 months?

The licence will be granted or renewed.

Last modified on 06 February 2024

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon