Find out changes to our services and advice in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Taxi / private hire car drivers

A taxi or private hire car driver's licence is needed if you wish to drive a taxi or a private hire car.

View the icon guidance information on taxi drivers [47Kb] for more information prior to making an application.

Why do I need a licence?

The licensing system is there to ensure public safety. Taxi and private hire car drivers are in a position of trust and will often have vulnerable people in their cars. It is important that people undertaking this work are suitable. Every person who applies for a licence is assessed to see if they are "fit and proper" to have a licence.

How do I apply?

Apply online

If you have difficulty applying online please contact the Licensing Department on (01738) 475180.

Contact details

Civic Licensing (applications and payments)

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 475180