Second Adult Rebate
Second Adult Rebate provides assistance with the payment of Council Tax. The Rebate is based on the circumstances of a second adult living in the property.
The purpose of the scheme is to assist those who are liable for Council Tax but are not entitled to receive Council Tax Reduction, Discount or Exemption because a second adult (who is not a partner) over the age of 18 lives in the property.
Second Adult Rebate is separate from Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit. You will be informed if you are better off applying for Council Tax Reduction or Second Adult Rebate.
There are two types of Second Adult Rebate:
Student Only Second Adult Rebate
Student Only Second Adult Rebate can be awarded to the person liable for Council Tax to compensate for any loss of a Council Tax Exemption caused by the presence of a second adult.
General Second Adult Rebate
General Second Adult Rebate can be awarded to the person liable for Council Tax to compensate for any loss of a Council Tax Discount caused by the presence of a second adult. This can be awarded for up to 25% of the Council Tax liability for the property.
Second Adult Criteria
To be regarded as a second adult, a person must:
- be a non dependant (a non dependant is usually a friend or family member who lives with the liable person)
- be a carer who is not regarded as a non dependant or classed as a disregarded person
- not be a disregarded person.
Disregarded Persons Criteria
Disregarded persons are:
- anyone under the age of 18
- anyone aged 18 or 19 who someone receives Child Benefit for
- education leavers under the age of 20
- the majority of full-time students, student nurses and foreign language assistants
- youth trainees under the age of 25
- apprentices on NCVQ/SVEC courses
- people in prison or other forms of detention
- people who normally live elsewhere
- certain carers.