Mobile navigation

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

Help to assist people on a low income with meeting the costs of rent and council tax.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) and/or Housing Benefit (HB)

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction if you are liable for Council Tax. If you also rent your home, you may also get Housing Benefit.

Reporting changes: Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

When you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you must notify the council of any changes in your circumstances that might affect your entitlement.


Overpayment of Housing Benefit occurs when benefit has been paid for a period beyond the date that entitlement to the benefit has reduced or ended.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

Local Housing Allowance is Housing Benefit for those who rent from private landlords.

Reporting Benefit Fraud

We ask all local residents to report anyone they believe is committing benefit fraud.

Bedroom Tax - size criteria in the social rented sector

You may be affected if you are deemed to have one or more spare bedrooms and you are receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit (UC).

Benefit Cap

There is now a limit to the total amount of benefit that some people can get.

Difficulty paying your Council Tax

There are many different ways in which your Council Tax bill can be reduced.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon