Mobile navigation

Payment of Council Tax Reduction (CTR) and Housing Benefit (HB)

Backdated Awards

You can ask for your claim for Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit to be backdated.  You can either make your request on your application form or, if you have already submitted an application, by making a request in writing. You should also provide evidence as to why you did not claim sooner. 

If you are of working age an award of Council Tax Reduction can be backdated for up to 6 months from the date you claim and an award of Housing Benefit can be backdated 1 month from the date you claim.  If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, your entitlement may start from an earlier date without the need to request backdating.  

How is Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit paid?

Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate

Awards of Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate reduce the amount of Council Tax which you would normally be required to pay. The amount you are entitled to from the start of your entitlement period until the end of the financial year (31 March) will be taken off your Council Tax account  and you will receive a revised Council Tax bill for that year. Please note that Council Tax Reduction does not cover water and wastewater (sewerage) charges and you will still need to pay these.    

Housing Benefit

If you rent from the social sector (ie, from the Council or Housing Association/Housing Co-operative) then your Housing Benefit will be paid direct to your landlord who will deduct this amount from your rent liability.  

If you rent from the private sector, the type of Housing Benefit you are paid is called Local Housing Allowance (LHA). This will be paid direct to you through your  bank, Building Society or Credit Union account.  In some circumstances, it may be possible for your LHA to be paid direct to your landlord.  

Change of Circumstances

If your circumstances change, please let us know as soon as possible. Once you have notified us of a change in circumstances and your entitlement either changes or ends, you will receive a new notification letter.  

What to do if you think our decision is wrong

If you are unhappy with a decision on your Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit entitlement, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again (reconsidered) within one calendar month.  If you still disagree with the decision, you can appeal.   

Customer Approved Logo

Last modified on 07 July 2021

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon