Mobile navigation

Council Tax credits and refunds

You may be entitled to a Council Tax refund if your account is in credit.

This may be because of:

  • A payment made direct to your Council Tax account, such as a Cost of Living Award, that exceeds the charges payable
  • Paying too much
  • The award of a discount, exemption, or Council Tax Reduction
  • Moving out of the dwelling mid-year
  • Your Valuation Band being reduced

We will only issue a refund where you do not have any other arrears outstanding. If you have paid too much but have a balance outstanding for a different financial year or another address, we will apply the amount you have overpaid to the outstanding balance.

We may also use the credit balance to off-set any other debts that you may have to Perth & Kinross Council

How do I request a Council Tax refund?

If you have been paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we will usually refund your money back into the bank account that the money was sent from. We will send you a notification that this has been done.

If this is not the case, we will send you a statement showing you the credit balance and, using the details on this statement, you can request a refund.

Request your Council Tax refund

Please note that the Council is no longer issuing refunds by cheque therefore you will be required to provide bank details as part of your refund request.

If you believe that you are due a refund but have not been sent a notification of this, please contact or call us on 01738 477430 to discuss the matter.

Last modified on 04 March 2022

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon