If a member of your household is a full time student, you may be eligible to claim a reduction on your council tax.

If your property is solely occupied by students, you will be exempt from Council Tax charges.  If all but one of the adults living at your property are students, a 25% discount will apply.  If there are other adults residing at the property, you may still be entitled to a discount depending on their circumstances.  Please contact Local Taxes on 01738 477430 for more information.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.


To qualify as a student you must either be:

  • someone undertaking a specified course at a college or university in the UK or other EU state for 21 hours or more per week for at least 24 weeks; or
  • someone under 20 studying for a qualification up to A Level, Higher, SHNC, NVQ/SVQ level 3 or equivalent via a course or courses for at least 12 hours a week for at least 3 months; please note that the course may not be taken as a result of your employment, may not be a correspondence course and may not be an evening class; or
  • a foreign language assistant; or
  • a student nurse studying an academic course at university or college

How to apply

Contact details

Local Taxes

Pullar House, 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
Tel 01738 477430